St Edmunds Catholic Parish is one of oldest parishes in East Anglia, and the current church building dates from 1837. The restoration of the apse and chancel at was the final stage in a three year project to prepare the church for the 250th anniversary of the First Mass celebrated in the parish.
The work undertaken by Campbell Smith & Co operatives included a wide range of specialist painting and decorating skills, namely:
Scagliola (marbling) of the columns, involving hand painting in successive layers of colour to achieve the marble effect required
Gilding of the egg and dart detailing of the ionic capitals
Signwriting of the lettering
Design, layout, stencilling and hand painting of the tri-colour cruciform decoration of the walls framing the apse
Cleaning, restoration and re-gilding of the mural in the apse
The beautifully completed work provides a spectacular backdrop to the celebrations in the church.