St James’ Church, formerly St Mary’s Paddington Green; was built between 1841 and 1843. The church was designed by John Goldicutt and finished by George Clitch after Goldicutt’s death.
St James's suffered considerable damage during the Blitz in 1940. After wartime bomb damage was repaired and new stained-glass windows installed, the renovated church reopened in July 1958.
Campbell Smith & Co were appointed as principal contractor to undertake plaster repairs and redecoration to the aisles and vestibules.
Our specialist decorations team first undertook lime plaster repairs to several areas of deterioration to the walls in the aisles and ceilings of the vestibules. The surfaces of the walls to the aisles and walls and ceilings to the vestibules were then prepared, before being redecorated with Little Greene Absolute Matt emulsion.
In addition to redecoration works the Campbell Smith Conservation team also undertook cleaning to remove accumulated dust and dirt deposits to the stone arches between the aisles and nave.