Worcester College, a constituent college of the University of Oxford, was founded in 1714. The impressive neo-classical Hall was designed by architect James Wyatt in the 1770’s, alongside the Chapel. William Burges reimagined the interior of the Hall in 1877, however his scheme remained incomplete at the time of his death, and the Hall was returned to an approximation of the Wyatt scheme in 1966.
We were contracted to assist the college with the research into the design of a new Wyatt-inspired scheme, taking into consideration the influence of William Burges and then provide a detailed report to assist in obtaining the statutory permissions for a newly envisaged decorative scheme.
The ornate mouldings were carefully stripped to reveal the beauty of Wyatt’s intricate plasterwork designs, before being painted in traditional distempers and flat oils.
Corinthian capitals, floral enrichments and rosettes were repaired by our team of plaster conservators. Elements of the ornate pilaster capitals were partially gilded in 23.5ct gold; 6ct white gold was applied to the swags on the cove, reflecting the spirit of Burges. The Hall was re-opened in April 2018.
Our work here has already won a prestigious award from the Oxford Preservation Trust, recognizing our century long association with this building.